What is a Hair Transplant?
Why is Hair Loss?
Hair loss may occur due to various reasons such as hormonal disorder, seasonal cycles, iron or vitamin deficiency, genetic predisposition. It is considered normal for adult individuals to shed 50-100 strands per day. Hair strands, which have a certain natural cycle, fall out on their own every 4-6 years, and then healthier hair comes out from the hair follicles. However, continuous and excessive hair loss can be a sign of serious diseases. At the same time, the causes of hair loss in men and women may differ. In men, genetic factors often play a role in hair loss after puberty. In women, chronic stress, hormonal disorders, unbalanced diet, various skin problems, cosmetic products and some drugs can cause hair loss. Hair loss may increase in women during childbirth, breastfeeding and menopause.
How can Hair Loss be prevented?
It is of great importance to determine the main factors that cause hair loss in the prevention of hair loss. Different methods can be applied in the treatment process, which is recommended to be planned under the supervision of a dermatologist. In addition to the use of shampoo, cream, etc. cosmetic products compatible with the scalp, adopting the right eating habits and supplementing the missing hormones or vitamins in the body can reduce hair loss. In hair loss that develops as a result of a chronic disease such as thyroid, a plan should be made for the treatment of the disease. However, alternative treatment methods such as drug therapy, mesotherapy, PRP or hair transplantation are applied in direct proportion to the severity of hair loss.
What is Hair Transplantation?
According to the different needs of people, the recommended treatment methods and scope for hair loss may vary. As a treatment method offered as a solution to hair loss, hair transplantation is carried out in the form of transplanting hair follicles on the nape of the neck or in any part of the body to places where clarity and sparseness occur. In this procedure, which is performed by specialists in the operating room under sterile conditions, the openings in the crown and forehead are treated by removing the hair follicles from the stronger areas one by one after local anesthesia and transplanting them where needed. This process is not painful and can take about 4-6 hours depending on the size of the area to be planted. It is extremely important that the technique applied is correct, that the newly transplanted hair adapts to the scalp and grows healthy. After the operation, it is recommended that the person rest at home for a few days and not go out. A few weeks after hair transplantation, the hair will fall out, but the hair follicles will remain in place. After this shedding hair, new hair will grow from the hair follicles that settle on the skin in a healthy way.
Hair transplantation is applied with two basic methods:
FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) Method
FUT technique, which is a very old method, is performed by placing the roots on the scalp, which are cut in the form of a thin strip from the nape, to the required area. Since the FUT technique is a surgical procedure, a scar of approximately 8-15 cm is left on the nape.
FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) Method
In the FUE method, which is a more up-to-date technique, no incision is made and thus the formation of surgical scars is prevented. Hair transplantation takes place by transferring the hair follicles taken one by one from the nape area to the channels in the area where they will be transplanted.
Another method that has been used more widely in recent times is PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma). When the solution produced from the cells that help blood clotting is used in the hair transplant process, it strengthens the transplanted hair follicles and ensures new hair growth.
Determining the final choice to be most compatible with the hair and skin structure of the person is of great importance in the success of the treatment method to be applied.
Things to Consider before and after the Surgery
Before the hair transplant operation;
- Alcohol, smoking and caffeine consumption slow down the healing process.
- Drugs that can slow down blood clotting should not be used.
- Hair gel, spray, etc. styling products should not be used.
After hair transplantation;
- It is necessary to pay attention to the planting area while lying down, it is recommended to lie on your back. Although the critical level ends in the 4th and 15th days following the hair transplantation, the risk continues.
- Sweating activities such as heavy sports should definitely be avoided.
- It is not recommended to use a car after the operation.
- Edema and pain may be experienced in the period following the operation, and regular use of painkillers may be required. The hair transplant area should be protected after the surgery. It is recommended to start hair washing on the third day after the operation.
- As a result of the operation, new hair growth can reach 30% in the first three months, 60% in the sixth month and 100% in one year. However, this is a process that requires patience. The growth period of new hair may vary depending on factors such as age, genetic factors, and lifestyle.
- Newly grown hair should not be cut and dyed for a while, it is normal to experience crusting on the newly grown scalp. Places such as sauna, Turkish bath and solarium should be avoided.
- The planting area should be protected from the sun.
- Within a month after hair transplantation, it can be seen that the hair starts to boil. It is important to continue using the hair products recommended by the doctor at the end of the surgery.
What should be done to have healthy hair?
In cases where hair loss is related to the daily habits of the person and the following, hair loss can be slowed down and prevented with some changes in daily routine:
- Protein weight, the acquisition of a regular nutrition,
- Paying attention to the consumption of foods containing zinc, magnesium, folic acid, B12,
- Avoiding stress and stimuli such as smoking and alcohol as much as possible,
- Using products that are suitable for the scalp and do not harm the scalp in routine hair care and cleaning,
- It is known that paying maximum attention to sleep patterns has a positive effect on healthy hair.
However, in case of hair loss of more than 50-100 strands per day, noticeable volume loss and thinning of the hair, it is highly recommended to determine the correct medical treatment method with a specialist doctor.